Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Oh. Canada.

Paraphrased blogging style yet again. I hate when I wait so long before a new post.
I'm awaiting my mother's photos.

Friday April 2nd. 
Half day of work. Why? I can't remember. Wow.
Cleaned my my parents wouldn't think I was the same piggy that left their house 4 years ago.

Saturday April 3rd. 8AM. [family time!]
First Saturday in a long time that I woke up so early.
Mom called to say they (my family) was almost to my apartment.
We went to starbucks for breakfast then a fast 6 train ride down to battery park.
Saw the insane line of 1000+ people waiting for the ellis island ferry so started to walk uptown.
Saw ground zero, last time I visited was in 2002. Time flies, and not much has changed...
Trotted over to Wall Street then finally to Canal, where I showed my parents the BEST 蛋挞 [egg tart] in all of Manhattan! They showed me that the portuguese style tasted better than the original...they were right.
Brought them to the best 珍珠奶茶 [bubble tea] place around the corner. 天仁!
I'm pretty sure my brother said he was exhausted so we took the 6 train up back to my apartment and walked to Times Square, where we were staying [Marriott Marquis].
Along the way had pho at Pho32. Wasn't that bad, wasn't super either.
Relaxed the rest of the afternoon, stared out into Times Square from my window.
Met up with Ryan, my cousin studying at Columbia, for dinner. Our attempt to eat dinner in Times Square was futile. I HATE Times Square now.
We ended up taking the subway 1 stop [for my mom's sake] to K-town, where we had korean bbq!

Sunday April 4.
Woke up around 10, 'trekked' from Times Square back to my apartment, picked up the car and headed to Toronto!
Brother begged for Dunkin Donuts only to realize after the first bite of his bagel, it wasn't all he thought it to be.
Drove for 7+ hours, slept and drooled most of the way there. Ate an entire bag of cinnamon sugar pita chips. Guilty pleasure.
Finally reached Niagara Falls and stayed at Fallsview Marriott overlooking the falls, hence "Fallsview".
Walked around during the brief remainder of the daylight and had dinner at one of the many chain restaurants. Tony Roma's. I think the last time I ate at one, I was 6.

Monday April 5.
Late start to the day yet again! Love sleeping in.
Walked down to Niagara Falls with the family. Paid to go behind the water fall too.
While in the tunnels, you can actually feel the pressure weighing down on your body. Apparently, the negatively charged ions in the water are also extremely rejuvenating considering our positively charged ions in our body are what gives us cancer. Nerdy!
Because we were too lazy to walk back, we took a tram...up a little hill, and actually paid money for it.

After YEARS of waiting, I finally made my pilgrimage to HOCKEY HALL OF FAME.
It reminded me of basketball hall of fame in Springfield. Not much displayed, but the only thing worthy was the trophies! Saw the ORIGINAL Stanley from Lord Stanley's time. And kissed one of the rotating Stanley Cups. Yes, there is more than one, one always remains in the hall of fame.

Visited the CN tower, and got over my vertigo and stood over a glass plate 113 floors above ground, something I couldn't do when I was 9 [so my dad says].

Had hot pot in Toronto's Chinatown, which was decently sized and had some pretty authentic food. Yum! Bubble tea to end the night.
Drove 1.5 hours back to Niagra Falls.

Tuesday April 6.
10 am start to the day.  :) Packed up our baggies and headed back towards the American border.
Briefly stopped over at American falls and Bridal falls.
Snapped some pictures and headed through New York only to head back up to Canada. Montreal!
Checked into Chateau Champlain Marriott, right next to Bell Centre, where the habs play.
Why so many Marriotts? Because I know someone in corporate and got a special discount :)
Had dinner along Saint Catherine's, smack center of downtown. Some chinese restaurant within a subway. Classy...but REALLY yummy.

Wednesday April 7. 
Finally got up a little earlier. Weather sucked so we did most of our sightseeing from our car.
Drove past Olympic stadium. Took a few snapshots.
Headed to Vieux-Montreal [old Montreal and old port].
Ate at a little cafe and had a panini. Of course dessert was flambéed right in front of us.

Visited Montreal's Notre Dame cathedral.

Vieux Montreal reminded me a lot of Vieux Nice, minus the beautiful weather.
Weather can seriously affect the emotions you feel towards a city and the impression it leaves you.
I went on a hunt for "Queue du castor" [beaver tail] a popular dessert that resembles a beaver tail, but majority of the replies I received led me to nothing. Next time, I guess.
Bought a few gifts for my managers, and my Marriott corporate contact. Some maple soap and candles. Smelled really yummy, and the price agreed.
Walked to Montreal's chinatown, which I'm sorry to say was pathetic. One block. not even comparable to our measly k-town on 32nd street. Who cares, I still found bubble tea. :) Wasn't good, but I drank it.
Visited the infamous "underground city" and was disappointed, it was literally tunnels with some shops [which were all closed]. For those who have experienced TW's underground cities, don't visit.
Had dinner at the chinese place again, but my brother wanted a subway sandwich instead this time.
Walked up and down Saint Catherine's, lined with designer stores. It was pretty crowded for a cold Wednesday night.

Thursday April 8.
Headed back down to NYC!
On the way had a REALLY good meal in vermont which ended with MAPLE CHEESECAKE. I want more.
Made a stop off at SMITH! I didn't realize how much junk I had left behind...I have to figure out how I am shipping this stuff..but first I need to know to where it will be shipped!
Finally made it back to NYC!
Checked back into the Marriott Marquis, and this time we had a FULL view of Times Square from the 43rd floor.
JUNIORS CHEESECAKE FOR DINNER! So warm, we ate outside on the patio.
My dad must have been hungry since he ordered an appetizer plus a soup plus a 10 oz burger. AND cheesecake.
Got my red velvet cheesecake. Yum. If you haven't realize by now, it's all about food and drink with me.

Friday April 9. 
First time we woke up EARLY. I mean, like 9 AM. We had a busy day!
Skipped breakfast and walked from Times Square to the Intrepid, the air craft carrier on the Hudson River.
Took a cab to my workplace where I dropped off various gifts to my managers. Showed my parents my little workspace, and introduced them to the other interns.
Took the train down to E. Broadway [real chinatown] and had a great dimsum lunch.
Forced my parents to follow me to Shuang Wen elementary school [yup the school I volunteered at during January]. Got to see all my smiling 3rd graders. I didn't realize how much I missed them!
Got 3 boxes of girl scout cookies [I only buy Caramel Delights, or Samoas].
Took the train all the way up to 57th street, base of Central Park.
Walked for a couple hours through the park with my family, all the way up to Belvedere Castle on 79th.
We were pretty exhausted by then.
Hopped on the subway again to K-town and showed my parents Woorijip! Best store in K-town.
Slowly trekked back to Times Square.
Had to jolt myself up for LION KING on broadway! It was a spectacular show, I would definitely go watch it again, but maybe not pay $128 to see it. Row 5 was great, THANKS DADDY!
Where did we end up after the show? Junior's cheesecake, conveniently located across from the Marquis and next to the theater....

Saturday April 10. 
Visited a family friend in NJ who took us out to a sushi buffet. You bet I crammed my face like none other. You know what's the best? Green tea soft serve. Um,  yeah!
My parent's had to rush back to NY to drop me off and say their goodbyes.
Pretty lonely the rest of the day.

Sunday April 11.
Happy birthday daddy! Too bad we didn't get to spend it together, but you ate enough cake the previous 2 days to last you a year! :)
Ran some errands. Love Trader Joes.
Met up with Annabelle, Kelley and Yaniv to visit the Central Park Zoo. It wasn't very big, but it was a great NYC outing on a BEAUTIFUL day.

Yesterday April 12. 
My manager is still really busy with reports that don't concern me, can't wait to start planning the next event though!
After work, I went to the New York Cares volunteer orientation. I am so excited for my first volunteer project coming up on Saturday!
Afterward, I headed to Annabelle's apartment for dinner and Gossip Girl! What a great way to start the week.

Today April 13.
Same 'ol same 'ol.
But...I WORKED OUT. How long has it been? 3 months? was about time.

Sharks vs. Avs game 1 of round 1 playoffs.
FRIDAY- half day of work. Thanks Annabelle for inviting me to be on the Food Network! Yup! More to come later!


Post a Comment

Design by Creative Commons // Copyright 2009 Chaos of Gotham