Friday, July 2, 2010

The final post: Dear Don Draper

The ad outside of my apartment, how suiting.
Dear Don Draper,

As I write my final post in dedication to you, I sit on my window sill staring out towards the Empire State building, just as you did from your Madison Avenue corner office window. I write to you with appreciation... an appreciation for creating a yearning within me to pack up and move out to New York - the city where dreams are made of. I have found out while I was here there is really nothing I can't do.

I have stunned friends and family with the lifestyle I have made for myself here...hiding away in a fabulous Park Avenue apartment oasis, making friends from all over the world with a myriad of personalities, and purely  living it up.

Mr. Draper, you opened my eyes to a new industry. Never did I think about working in the advertising business and although I am not in the creative department, where you reigned, I tested my limits in planning grandiose events to replicate the lifestyle you had. I refreshed people's memory of David Ogilvy, a man of whom you admired but held as stiff competition. While advertising may no longer be my long term career goal, it is what brought me to this concrete jungle, this haven of mad men.

As I sift through the photos of the last 6 months of my life, I am even in awe of myself. The glorified people I have met, the characters I have encountered, and lastly the friends I have made have all helped create a beautiful memory.

What may have been the craziness of the big apple for you evolved over the decades into the chaos of gotham for me. However, we both lived hectic lives and New York City never slowed down for either of us. And while you had commitment issues with Birdie, I have commitment issues with living in one place.

So, as I move to the bigger city of Shanghai, I leave New York City with confidence and pride that I conquered this metropolis, and I truly believe that if I can make it here, I can make it anywhere. Thank you Don Draper for bringing me to this realization. I have had the time of my life.

Sincerely,

Cassie Chaos

PS. The fun ain't over yet. The next chapter has just begun...
http://chaosEXPOsed.blogspot.com



To my true friends, you know who you are - I want to thank you for riding the adventure with me - you are all so amazing and New York would not have been the same without you. You will forever be in my memories. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Creative Commons // Copyright 2009 Chaos of Gotham