Saturday, June 19, 2010

I Hold the Key to the City


Two more weeks left in the city where dreams are made.  Last week, I was bestowed the "key to the city" by the Mayor.  Just kidding, but I was bestowed a "key to the city" by my intern! There is a new art project in NYC called... "Key to the City" resembling the real key to New York city that Mayor Bloomberg holds.  This art project begins with a ceremony for two people to exchange keys, unlocking several doors, safe-boxes, gates, etc around the 5 boroughs - Manhattan, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Bronx, and Queens.

The real Key to the City.


My idea was to unlock everything in the guidebook, however, I think it's proven more difficult that I imagined. I have only unlocked one thing... a box on a lamp post in Bryant Park...and to turn on and off the light. Fun! While each thing is very random, I feel like a part of the City (if all the other things I've done haven't made me feel this way, ha!)

There was a cute little ceremony in the middle of Times Square where you bestow they key to a friend, partner, stranger, etc and why. Mine was to my "little apprentice" Maria. There is a gated patch of turf in the middle of Broadway where you sign the huge book of participants and recite a little note...

The ceremony in the middle of Times Square.

Turning on and off the lamp in Bryant Park.

While I may not visit every site, I know that I will make an effort to go to the Mayor's house next, next Wednesday (only open one day of the week), and open his master bedroom closet. Yes, the key opens his closet. Ha!

On Wednesday night, I met up with my movie promoter friend at Tenjune since he had Jonah Hex private screening passes for me.  I didn't realize the number people that are out on Wednesday night! This truly is the city that never sleeps.  I guess I've been such a hermit these past few weeks that I didn't realize it. Anyway, I got 4 screening passes...  Sadly, the movie sucked! I wasn't expecting it to be any good as Rotten Tomatoes' reviews were 0% of 100%... it didn't really leave room for optimism.  After an hour and half of boredom, my friends and I decided to hop over to "Karate Kid" as it was starting in 30 minutes.  Can I just say it was FABULOUS. No one ever believes me when I say that, but they just have to watch it themselves.  Yeah, people complain that it's not Karate per se, but that's not the point.  The story line is about a kid who wants to learn Kung Fu, and he does.  Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan were amazing in it.

No                                                          Yes

Last night, I went with my friends to an outdoor movie in Washington Square park, a nice pastime to enjoy the summer nights. It was a french film hosted by the french embassy called "huit femmes" or "8 women".  It was hilarious and I was surprised how much french I understood.



Another highlight of my week was getting cheap shoes! I love knowing people in retail! I got 75%+ off of shoes! The pair on the left were in Cosmopolitan magazine... and I got them for $40 (originally $120, lots of discounts!)



Not much else happened this week, I actually avoided film sites due to the really hot weather.  Our AC was broken too for the week, so it was deathly hot in our apartment, considering we are so high up too  and heat rises!


Hopefully I have more adventures in the next two weeks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Creative Commons // Copyright 2009 Chaos of Gotham