Friday, December 4, 2009

Step 1: Graduate

While I only have 12 days left in college, Smith has made these next 12 days undoubtedly difficult and stressful. It's not as if I have many assignments to turn in, but the papers that I do have to complete are both assigned by a professor whom I can't seem to satiate. I have gotten really good scores and extremely poor scores from her, and there is no consistency in her grading methods. When I asked how to improve, she said she couldn't help me. Now I have one 20-page paper and one 10- page paper to write for her two different Economics classes. The 20-page paper has taken me over 3 weeks so far, and I spent 7 hours typing data series today... and three sentences. I'm still stuck on page 12. I am incapable of accepting that I'll probably get a B- in this class, but I guess as long as I can graduate, I'm golden.

A lot of you may know that I have accepted a full-time internship offer in NYC with the Advertising Research Foundation in Event Planning & management. My main tasks to complete during this internship are to:

  • Assist with the planning, management, and execution of program and speaker logistics for Re:think 2010: The Annual ARF Convention and Expo (3,000+ guests)
  • Assist with Management and execution of David Ogilvy Awards!
While the list has 20 other "major duties", I am most excited for these two events!

Over Thanksgiving break, I went to visit the office and fell in love with the setting. Everyone was SO sweet and I'm so excited for this upcoming semester! But first, I must graduate. 12 days until I am free...and they are going by so extremely slowly and painfully.

Before I begin my event planning 'career', I will be assisting in an inner city Chinese immersion school as a education fellow. I must say, I am probably more excited about this opportunity than anything else. I applied for this fellowship through Smith, and out of 100+ student applicants, 30 of us were chosen to be fellows in NYC, Chicago, Boston, and Springfield. I knew that this experience would be beneficial for the Peace Corps, especially at a Chinese immersion school. I am really happy to see that schools are beginning to take Chinese seriously. The Shuang Wen elementary school on the Lower East Side has their students learn in English in their morning classes and Chinese in their afternoon classes. I wish I was educated in this structure!

My on concerns now are related to housing. I have located several apartments of which I have great interest, but with every pro, there is a definite con.

Options:
The Victory: 41st & 10th - Hell's Kitchen $1425/month
Pros:
  • Huge TRUE bedroom, wrap around windows with views of Empire State building
  • Opposite side of the apartment from other roommates
  • Marble bathroom
  • 18th floor, doorman, tanning deck, pool table, grill, 2 terraces
  • Really chill roommates, both Yale grads, common interest = sports!
  • Do not mind overnight guests or bringing the party home
  • Center of Hell's Kitchen= TONS of ethnic food
  • rest of apartment is furnished
  • lease ends when I leave
Cons:
  • 41st street can be sketchy (alleyway behind port authority
  • bedroom unfurnished
  • far from public transportation, hence far from work


The Olivia: 33rd & 8th- Chelsea $1300/month
Pros:
  • 16th floor across from Madison Square Garden (ice hockey!)
  • Cool roommate, likes to go out & socialize
  • Close to public transportation
  • Free gym
  • 36th floor sundeck
Cons:
  • Flex bedroom, small, right next to roommates room
  • Year-long lease (can't sign as I am only going to be in the country for 6- 7 more months)
  • still takes as long to get to both fellowship and internship as the Victory (because of transfers)
  • apartment completely unfurnished
Just e-mailed another girl in Murray Hill (the original location I wanted) We'll see what she responds.

Anyway, I think it best that I take a break and head out for some socializing. Sitting for 7 hours in front of my computer screen, staring at numbers did nothing for the progression of my paper on Peru. It's time to stand up and shake my booty.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Creative Commons // Copyright 2009 Chaos of Gotham